Pinterest – The Great Traffic Generator
Millions of women already love pinning. And – Did you know that men are the fastest growing demographic on Pinterest?
Are you tapping into this opportunity to reach both male and female consumers? If not, you should be.
According to an article on Marketing Land, Pinterest reported in 2015 that it had 100 million monthly active users. This number is growing, as eMarketer predicts that nearly 30 percent of social media users will be on the social network giant by 2019:
As a marketer, you always need to know who makes up your Pinterest audience. For example, if you are in the beauty and fashion niche, you know that your audience is made up of mostly women, while someone in the male dominated niche of automobile restoration caters to the men.
However, it’s vital to remember that Pinterest’s demographics are growing with a mixture of male and female, so don’t alienate your potential audience by having tunnel vision.
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is a free website that allows users to upload, save, sort and manage images (known as pins) and other content such as videos and infographics, to what is known as pinboards. It is a personalized social media platform where users can browse the content others have pinned. They can then save these pins to their own boards and share it with their followers.
Users can add images to their boards from websites outside of Pinterest. This is accomplished through a “Pin It” button you place on your website.
You might be wondering how you can use Pinterest for traffic generation? There is a focused strategy and process your business should adhere to in order to attract the most interested prospects.
Why is Pinterest a Great Traffic Generator?
And Shareholic data shows Pinterest driving more Web traffic than other social networks:
Can you imagine how great that would be for your business?
Visual marketing in every field has grown in popularity in recent years, and is likely to continue to grow. Using Pinterest as your visual content platform to share images, is one of the easiest ways to generate traffic to your blog.
Some of the amazing benefits of Pinterest for generating traffic are the following:
- Building relationships. Pinterest is a great source to build online relationships and a community of people that are excited about your brand. It’s a great source for building an online community of potential buyers. When you build relationships with your community, they are more likely to recommend you to others.
- Pinterest lets you share links and, by using high-quality images, you encourage people to share your content and to visit your blog.
- Consistent pinning to your boards helps you build a high level of content that continually get repinned. Pin at least 20 times daily with a few of them linking back to your website.
- Your pins will be found months and months after you’ve pinned it. Unlike Facebook or Twitter where your content is short lived, your content on Pinterest appears fresh even when a year old. This means you constantly have a new stream of people searching your stuff and repinning it.
- There are several places on a pin that allow you to have links to your website. When someone clicks on a pin and enlarges it, the website button at the top of the pin links to the address from where the image was pinned. People can click on this link and be taken to your website. A logo or watermark of your URL can and should be placed somewhere on the image to send people back to your site. You can include clickable URLs in your pins’ descriptions.
- Traffic is generated to your website when people use the Pinterest Search tool. Users search for specific keywords. With the right keywords, pinners find your content and, in turn, you get more visits to your website.
If you are using Pinterest for Business, which is free to signup for, your pins and content can get even more visibility with Rich Pins. These can be generated from articles, app downloads, travel information, favorite films, recipes and purchases online. After deciding what applies to your website, follow the steps here to apply for a rich pins. Once you’re approved, your website address and pins will be in bold letters – like this example from design and marketing expert, Louise Myers:
In this example, the pin is generated from an article, which includes the bold headline, the name of the author and a more detailed description. This helps users find and save relevant topics.
Pinterest is no longer just a fun site to share favorite images of things you want to do or see. Using this platform for business as a way to generate traffic, can lead to a new level of visitors to your website. There are many ways you can use Pinterest to gain traffic. All begins with a free business account and analytics that track your referrals. As this powerful social media platform continues to expand with Buyable Pins and Promoted Posts, expect more users to flock to Pinterest to make purchases and click links to helpful articles – especially from their mobile devices.
Latest posts by Susan Gilbert (see all)
- 12 Tools To Improve Visual Marketing, SEO and Branding - January 1, 1970
- Get More Exposure for Your Business with Online Groups - January 1, 1970
- 12 Tools To Improve Your Visual Content, Marketing and Data - January 1, 1970