How Publication Consultants Can Bring Your Business More Visibility
Venturing out on your own can be a daunting, and time-consuming task. That is where hiring a publication consultant or “book shepherd” is very helpful. According to author and coach, Kimanzi Constable, in an article on Entrepreneur.com, you need to “have a clear plan for your book. As an entrepreneur, a book should definitely be a part of your strategy for business growth. Establish your authority and earn some passive income through your book sales.”
There are several factors that come into play when publishing a book for your business in order to be successful:
● Focus on print or electronic publishing or both – While printing a book might seem like a good option, it might be easier to begin your first work with an eBook. Print has the added task of finding the the right publisher and pitching to agents, while services like KDP on Amazon have made epublishing very easy.
● Map out a full-scale marketing strategy ahead of time – Proper planning needs to be in place even before your business book is complete. A clear, and targeted strategy is one of the most important steps to take, especially for an eBook. You will want to have your branding to be in place and fully developed on social media before starting this process.
● Create a budget – If you are printing a book then your business will need to factor in printing and distribution costs for self-published materials. Marketing and advertising costs come in next, and can add up very quickly without a well-planned budget ahead of time.
Your success as a business author comes with the right tools and knowledge in place. A publication consultant can help you decide what avenues to take, and how to properly execute a publishing and marketing plan. For example, a surgeon doesn’t go into the operating room without the proper tools, and nursing staff to help advise them on a procedure. A good consultant can provide direction and step-by-step instructions to follow.
How exactly can your business find the right publication consultant?
Not all services are the same, and it’s important to do your research and homework first before hiring a professional to help your business with your next book. There several things to keep in mind before making a final decision:
● Do they have a professional website with real, verifiable testimonials?
● Are the previous projects within your scope of interest?
● Is there a creative team involved to help on more involved projects?
● Can you engage in an initial 30-minute consultation?
Typically a publication consultant or firm can charge anywhere from $100 – 125 an hour with a typical turnaround time of 50+ hours. This could include co-writing or ghostwriting, idea development, critiques of your manuscript, help with titles, marketing and press kits, creation of a book-focused website, copy editing and proofreading, and more.
Once your business finds the right fit it’s important to keep in mind that this is a collaborative, team effort. The more flexible and willing to listen you are the less time will be spent on your book budget. Turning to a professional to guide you through this process can help you focus on what really matters, and that is building your brand and business.
Latest posts by Susan Gilbert (see all)
- 12 Tools To Improve Your Blog, Instagram Marketing and CRM - January 1, 1970
- Create Infographics People Will Want to Share - January 1, 1970
- 12 Tools To Improve Your Business, Branding and Emails - January 1, 1970