The Ultimate List of Internet, eCommerce & Hosting Facts
Being successful in the world of online business is not impossible, but it’s not easy either. As with anything, the more informed you are, the bigger the chances of reaching your goals. It’s the same with online sales. except that the internet is an ever-changing environment that keeps reinventing and shifting current paradigms.
Online sales revenues keep getting more substantial each business trimester. And each year, more and more online businesses and websites pop up, and trillions of consumer dollars are channeled through this environment.
Mobile search has exceeded desktop search in the U.S. and Japan, and will soon do so all over the world.
Here is an infographic from Hosting Facts which brings together facts and statistics in the areas of:
- Domain Name
- Website and Web Hosting
Some of what follows is fun. But some could be very useful. Maybe, some of it may help you decide which direction to take your existing business… or where to point a future one.
Just a Few of the Internet Facts and Stats, listed above:
- As of December 2015, there were 3.26 billion internet users (that’s over 40% of the world population!
- While a whopping 86.75% of the U.S. population uses the internet, the U.S. is only ranked #25 in terms of internet penetration. The U.K. ranks #15, with an estimated 89.90% of U.K. citizens using the internet
- In 2015, digital interactions influenced retail sales to the tune of $2.2 trillion
- Wi-Fi and mobile-connected devices will generate 68% of all internet traffic by 2017
- The most expensive domain name ever sold is Insurance.com, for $35.6 million in 2010
- The world’s first website was published on August 6, 1991 by British physicists Tim Berners-Lee
- Only 44% of web traffic is from humans; a massive 56% of web traffic is from bots, impersonators, hacking tools, scrapers and spammers
- An estimated 37,000 websites are hacked every day. Here’s a primer on how you can secure WordPress
- The U.S. e-commerce economy is worth $349 billion while China’s e-commerce economy is worth $562.66 billion
- A single second delay in your website loading time can result in a 7% loss in conversion, and 40% of web users will abandon a website if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load
- 51% of U.S. online shoppers cite slow site loading times as the top reason they abandon a purchase
- An increase in site speed from 8 to 2 seconds can boost your conversion rate by 74% (this is based on data monitoring real user activity from 33 major retailers)
- While there are more mobile users than desktop users, mobile advertising spend is still slightly lower than desktop spend. Mobile advertising spend currently represents 49% of digital advertising spend, compared to desktop at 51%
- 70% of mobile searches result in an online action within an hour of the search being conducted
Resources & statistics used in the above Infographic:
Toby Dean works on behalf of Hosting Facts in content creation and marketing. He creates engaging graphics and content that help businesses stand out from the crowd. Over the past 7 years, he has worked with many SME’s in both an agency and freelance capacity. You can tweet him @streamlinedean
Lead/Featured image: Copyright: ‘http://www.123rf.com/profile_kchung‘ / 123RF Stock Photo
Latest posts by Toby Dean (see all)
- Interview: Social Media Marketing Trends For 2017 & Beyond - January 1, 1970
- Your Complete Content Plan, Part 2: Content Creation - January 1, 1970
- How Important is Your Social Media Follower Count? - January 1, 1970