If you’re struggling with how to use Instagram as part of your marketing strategy, it might be because you don’t know what to do and what not to do.
To help you out, I’ve put together a list of my top 30 Instagram rules for businesses. Use these to help guide your strategy and help you see greater success using Instagram.
- Complete your bio with relevant information
- Include your full business name (or your real name) in your bio
- Include your website in the bio – this is the only place where you can include a hyperlink
- Upload a profile pic, ideally the same one you use on other platforms
- Make sure your posts are PUBLIC – uncheck “Posts are Private” on the Edit Profile page
- Do NOT share every Instagram post to Facebook or Twitter. Give people a reason to follow you here.
- Ensure you receive notifications for likes, comments, and contacts
- Determine which filters you like best and which represent your brand
- Actively post to your account
- Use a variety of posts that showcase you, your brand, your customers, your products, etc.
- Use Instagram to advertise sales or provide exclusive discount codes
- Never leave your post comments blank – take advantage of the post comments to ask questions or provide details
- Use the @name to respond to followers comments (otherwise, they won’t see your response)
- Thank and engage with those who comment on your posts
- Comment on and like others’ posts
- Use relevant hashtags to boost reach
- Don’t overuse hashtags – more than 10 per post is excessive
- Don’t use popular hashtags, if unrelated, just to get exposure
- Unless your account is about food, we don’t need to see your every meal
- Space out your posts – don’t crowd the feed with your posts
- If you use someone else’s photo, you must give photo credit
- Follow other industry leaders
- Follow your competitors
- Don’t follow someone to get them to follow you, and then unfollow them – it’s just rude
- Don’t buy followers
- Do not follow everyone that follows you – follow only those with similar interests or engagement
- Check your notifications regularly. Instagram only shows you your last 75 interactions
- Monitor and analyze your stats and engagement (I recommend statigr.am)
- Know which days and which times are the best to share your posts
- Be you – be authentic
And there you have it! 30 Instagram rules to help you succeed with this part of your marketing strategy!
Latest posts by Jenn Herman (see all)
- 4 Reasons Not To Use Facebook Live (Although You Really Should!) - January 1, 1970
- How To Find YOUR Best Time to Post on Instagram - January 1, 1970
- 8 Lessons Learned From My Launch That Can Help You - January 1, 1970